Additional help and advice

Where to go for further support and the National Breathing Space scheme

National Breathing space scheme 

From Monday 4 May 2021, The National Breathing Space Scheme enables people to apply for “breathing space” from their debts to allow extra time to repay.  If you are experiencing debt issues and wish to apply for the Breathing Space Scheme you need to apply for Breathing Space via a Money or Debt Advisor.

The Council work in partnership with The Citizens Advice Bureau to enable residents to have access to this support. If you are looking to apply they can be contacted on the details below;

Find out more about Breathing Space 

Help and advice for people in financial hardship

If you are in financial difficulty, you may find yourself unable to afford an essential item of furniture or white goods (such as a cooker, or fridge/freezer) - or even the basic essentials such as food.

By clicking on the link below, you can access a guide to local and national resources for people in financial hardship in the Eastleigh area:

Help and advice for young people

No Limits is a charity which offers free and confidential information, advice, counselling, advocacy and support for young people under the age of 26, living in Southampton and Hampshire.

To find out more about No Limits, visit their website below:

Local Welfare Assistance

Hampshire County Council has been given money by the Department for Work and Pensions to develop what has been called Local Welfare Assistance. This money is to be used to develop local help and support for people who are facing crisis or struggling to cope.

More information about Local Welfare Assistance can be found below:

Free tax help for older people

Tax Help for Older People is a service from the charity Tax Volunteers providing free, independent and expert help and advice for older people on lower incomes who cannot afford to pay for professional tax advice. With over 450 volunteers and a national call centre, it doesn't matter where one lives.

The service from Tax Volunteers is provided by expert advisers. It is jargon-free, independent and confidential. The service is mainly for those aged 60 and over but they will consider helping those approaching 60.

More information about Tax Help can be found here:

Council Tax Support

If you are liable to pay Council Tax and you are struggling to pay and you have
already made a claim for Council Tax Support, whether it was successful or not
you can also apply for a Council Tax Hardship Payment (CTHP).

Apply for a Council Tax Hardship Payment (form)

Please call 023 8068 8470 or email to discuss the options that are open to you.