Improvements and repairs to property

Property in disrepair - contact your landlord if your home needs repairs, is damp or mouldy

Social Graphic Cards COVID 19 Post

Staff currently have limited access to the Council offices due to coronavirus restrictions. Therefore, we are unable to check our post every day. Where possible, please use email and online forms during this time. For any of the services on this page, please use for enquiries. Thank you for your help.

If you think your home needs repairs or improvements you should always contact your landlord first. If your landlord does not carry out the work then please contact us.

Your landlord is usually responsible for:

  • the exterior and structure of the building
  • the water, gas and electricity supply
  • toilets, bathrooms and drainage; and
  • installations for food safety, ventilation, and heating for rooms and water

The Health and Safety Rating System
Your landlord or their agent must tell you of any serious hazards that exist in your home and around it. There is a ‘housing health and safety rating system’ of 29 potential hazards, including noise; mould and damp; harmful substances like asbestos; overcrowding, poor lighting and pests.

When major hazards are identified the Council has statutory duty to remove them.  For lesser hazards we can take enforcement action .

Gas safety

All gas installations and appliances must be checked and maintained every 12 months by a suitably qualified installer.

HSE website

Gas Safe Register

Electrical safety

Under the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 landlords are required to have the electrical installation inspected and tested at least every 5 years. They are required to provide a copy of the new electrical installation condition report (EICR) to tenants within 28 days of the inspection and a copy of the current EICR at the start of any new tenancy.

Landlords are required to undertake any further investigation or remedial work identified on the EICR within 28 days of inspection, or by the time specified in the report if less than 28 days.

Please see the Government guidance for more information.

Dampness and mould growth

Dampness and mould growth is a common problem, particularly during the winter months. If your rented property is suffering from dampness and/or mould growth you can download our advice leaflet for support and information.