Parking problems and enforcement

Reporting a parking problem

We can enforce a parking problem, either on the road, pavement or in a car park, if the vehicle is:

  • parked on yellow lines
  • contravening waiting restrictions (inc. marked bays)
  • blocking your driveway
  • parking without displaying a parking ticket or a blue badge

We also tackle problems with a ticket machines, for example a coin jam or no ticket

Parking problems we cannot enforce

A CEO cannot enforce any obstruction offences (e.g. wilfully blocking a footpath or parking too close to a junction). These offences should be reported to Hampshire Constabulary by calling 101.

If a vehicle is parked on a pavement where there are waiting restrictions (e.g. yellow lines) on the road then we can issue a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). However, if there are not any waiting restrictions on the road, we have no powers to take action.  As parking on the pavement can be a danger to pedestrians and may constitute an obstruction of the highway this should be reported to Hampshire Constabulary by calling 101.

Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs) undertake the enforcement of parking restrictions within the Borough and issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) to vehicles contravening these restrictions. Any money received from PCNs is retained by the Council and funds the enforcement office and, in accordance with government legislation, helps improve transport.  This can vary from subsidised transport fares to the installation of traffic calming measures.  All Council civil parking enforcement is subject to the Policies for the enforcement and cancellation of PCNs

Civil Enforcement Officers will often use body worn video equipment whilst carrying out their duties.
Data Protection Impact Assessment