At this difficult time, we want to make the help available to you as clear and as accessible as possible. There may be some residents who are unaware of what they are entitled to.
We have gathered a range of support to explore, including:
- Direct financial help with benefits and grants
- Household basics support
- Energy assistance and efficiencies
- What to do if you find yourself in debt
- Looking after your wellbeing
We regret to report that many scams are operating at this time, targeting vulnerable people. Please remain vigilant and if in any doubt: stop, challenge and protect. Learn more from Action Fraud
Check which benefits you are entitled to
The Government have a benefits calculator which can help you to narrow down anything you may be entitled to. The calculator is free, independent and anonymous and only takes 15 minutes to complete. It can give you an estimate of:
- the benefits you could get
- how much your benefit payments could be
- how your benefits will be affected if you start work or increase your hours
- how your benefits will be affected if your circumstances change - for example, if you have a child or move in with your partner
What we and local partners can do to help
If you need help with finding what support is available and what you are eligible for, please contact Citizens Advice in the first instance as they have trained local advisors and a website filled with advice and guidance.
They have an Eastleigh office and a range of outreaches in Bursledon, Hamble and Hedge End.
Citizen's Advice have also collated places to start to get help with the cost-of-living
Find your Warm Welcome
We have coordinated a network of warm spaces for residents who need them this autumn and winter, in partnership with a range of venues. Find your nearest
Direct financial support
Our Revenues and Benefits team are here to help guide you to the right support if you are on a low income, claiming benefits or out of work:
Financial hardship support
- Grants, low-cost loans, local charities and help with household basics
- Food banks, Eastleigh Pantry and low-cost food schemes
- Support for specific groups (elderly, disabled, young residents)
- Our support services and discounts for home, waste, health and wellbeing and transport
- View Council Tax discounts and exemptions – there are a range of circumstances that apply and many are unclaimed.
Home and housing
Our housing team are here to offer advice on housing matters including the prevention of homelessness. We can offer guidance and assistance to prevent threats of homelessness such as negotiations with landlords and signposting for debt advice, and/or support you to seek and secure suitable alternative accommodation. Get home and housing help
Household Support Fund updates
- August and September: Food Voucher Scheme for vulnerable households and pensioners
- June to September: Exceptional Housing Support by referral
Energy bill support and efficiency
Keeping your home warm
Loan Sharks and loans
Always check that a loan will be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) before entering into one. If you’re not sure, speak to Citizens Advice – they will be able to recommend the best safe loan options available to you.
If you think you have entered a contract with a loan shark (i.e. not authorised by the FCA), you can speak in confidence to the Illegal Money Lending Hotline on 0300 555 2222
Central Government measures
The Government has created a web area called Help for Households signposting to a range of support:
County Council support
Hampshire County Council's connect4communities programme have received funding to further support children and their families, and pensioners over the summer months for necessities such as food and fuel.
Supporting your wellbeing
Get local support if your mood is low or you are struggling with stress and anxiety and low-cost ways of ensuring you can prepare healthy meals.
- Grow your confidence with groups or 1:1 emotional support
- Wellbeing support over the phone, online or in groups
- Help with your employment needs
Support you on the phone or online if you are having a difficult time and are struggling to cope
Explore low-cost health food recipes