What if someone complains about me?

If you are contacted about an alleged breach of planning control you are entitled to know what the allegation is (but not who made the complaint) and you will be given an opportunity to present your reasoning. Your co-operation may be sought to remedy a breach of planning control, either by removing or modifying the unauthorised development or activity. In some circumstances, you may be invited to submit a retrospective planning application.

We will usually give you an opportunity to present your side before taking formal action, but if the breach is causing serious harm or nuisance to public amenity formal action will not be delayed by prolonged negotiation.

All reported breaches are investigated, not all are considered breaches of planning and formal action may not be sought.