Care leavers

If you are a care leaver, you may be eligible for help and support

Prior to leaving care your Personal Advisor, allocated to you by Children’s Services, will work with you to make sure you are ready to live independently. This will involve creating a Pathway Plan setting out your development goals. Many young people leaving care are not ready for independent living.  Your Personal Advisor can refer you for support with various aspects of life skills and budgeting to help you make a successful transition to independent living in the future. 

Housing Options for care leavers aged 16+

Remain in your foster placement

If you have been accommodated in the same foster placement since the age of 15, you may be eligible for the placement to continue under a supported lodgings arrangement. Your Personal Advisor can provide further guidance on this.

Supported lodgings with friends or family

You may have an adult friend or family member who is able to provide a safe and suitable home under a supported lodgings arrangement. 

Supported housing for young persons

There are various types of supported accommodation, most of which are shared houses with support on-site.  The level of support would depend on the needs of the individual. 

Housing options for care leavers aged 18 to 21

When you become 18, you are legally able to hold your own tenancy.  Whilst you may still be eligible for the above, you may also wish to consider:

Privately rented accommodation

If you have not lived independently before, you may be eligible to receive ongoing support from a support worker who can support you to manage your tenancy.  The various privately rented options include:

  • A room in a shared property with a resident landlord
  • Shared housing or lodgings
  • Self-contained privately rented accommodation (care leavers under the age of 22 are exempt from the shared accommodation rate for housing related benefits)
  • Further education placement (if you are continuing in full time education, your college or university may have student accommodation)
  • Social housing - if you wish to apply for housing association accommodation in Eastleigh, please register at

Contact us
If you would benefit from help to seek and secure accommodation, or if you would like housing related advice and support, please contact us.  A daily duty drop-in service is available at Eastleigh House during office opening hours.