Planning advice

Determine if you require planning permission

You can make some minor changes to your home without the need to make a planning application. These rights are called ‘permitted development rights’ which derive from a general planning permission granted by Parliament.

Learn more about permitted development rights

Please Note: Householders can build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development. The size limits are from four to eight metres for detached houses and from three to six metres for all other houses. These larger home extensions (i.e. if they extend between four and eight metres or between three and six metres) must go through a process of prior notification.

Process for Permitted Development Enquiry

If you require confirmation of whether a planning application is required for your proposed work, please complete the Householder Enquiry Form.

For non-household works, please email including the following:

  • details of your proposals
  • an indicative drawing showing accurate distances and dimensions
  • any supporting information

Other than for those extensions covered by the process of prior notification, there is a charge of £87.50 to submit a Householder Enquiry Form. Forms received without the correct fee will not be processed. 

Enquiries are usually processed within 28 days, however, due to a significant increase in the number of enquiries being received, this may take slightly longer and we apologise for any delay in processing your enquiry.

Complete Householder Enquiry Form

Please Note: It is your responsibility to ensure that any works you undertake have the necessary permission. If you build something that requires planning permission and you have not obtained this permission, you may be subject to enforcement action that could result in you being asked to remove or undo the works you have undertaken.