The UK Shared Prosperity Fund (UKSPF), a central pillar of the Government's Levelling Up fund, is supporting a number of projects across Eastleigh Borough
The Fund is part of a suite of funding that supports the the Government’s wider commitment to level up all parts of the UK. The primary goal is to build pride in place and increase life chances across the UK through the delivery of a wide range of interventions that reflect local need and opportunity. The UK Shared Prosperity Fund prospectus
A three-year borough-wide Investment Plan was developed and approved by local MPs, and submitted by Eastleigh Borough Council in August 2022; successfully receiving its total allocation of £1,000,000 of ringfenced grant income. The allocation of funds is split across the funding period.
The UKSPF programme ‘Growing Spaces, Growing Networks, Growing Wellbeing’ is an environmental programme, built around the Corporate Plan Priorities; ‘Protecting our environment’ and ‘Shaping places.’ It is focused on reducing inequalities in peoples’ experience, and access to green spaces. Community is at the heart of the programme with each workstream providing opportunities for the Council to engage with residents and businesses.
The holistic £1 million programme will enable and/or sustain delivery of a variety of workstreams including:
- assist with the Council’s pledge to plant 160,000 trees by 2030
- audit and mapping the Borough’s active travel routes
- develop a broader, more diverse volunteer programme concerned with land maintenance
- encourage local food production
- green up our towns and local centres.
The revenue funded programme has been designed to leave a legacy. Partnerships, projects, and social networks developed through the programme aim to encourage residents and businesses to take pride in their local community and reduce their carbon emissions. Information gathered through audits, mapping and community engagement activities will be used to inform the development of policies in the Local Plan review.
- Latest press release 6 December 2023: Levelling Up projects in full swing across Eastleigh Borough
- Youth provision scoping and mapping
Officer funded to consult with partners, develop a range of positive diversionary activities for young people, manage the Eastleigh Youth Partnership newsletter and targeted detached youth work. Assist with the refurbishment of Eastleigh Energy Youth Centre and the rebuild of the Freespace Skate Park.
- Consultancy work to locate parcels of land to plant trees
Identify parcels of land, owned by the Council that are appropriate for tree planting.
- Community trees project
Senior Rangers for community trees, suitable equipment and trees funded with a view to managing volunteer community tree projects.
- Walk and Talks
Officer hours funded to hold nature-based staff-led walks in the Council's country parks and in the south of the Borough.
- Eastleigh College SEN gardening group
The Lakeside Country Park community garden access provided alongside gardening tools, plants, PPE and first aid kit.
- Local food production grant with projects in targeted areas.
- Food education programme
- Expansion of volunteer opportunities and groups.
- Audit and mapping of the Borough's existing cycling and walking routes
- Apprenticeship places within the Country Parks and Countryside teams.
- Two placement students from Sparsholt College within the Country Parks and Countryside teams.
- Purchasing bulk trees for Plant Eastleigh project.
- Green space investment projects in deprived areas.
- Walking and cycling maps and community engagement to increase use of routes.
- Improvements to town centres and high streets.